Friday, January 15, 2016

Charity Miles

Sometimes I come across something I think is neato-bananas and I feel the need to share it here with all you fine people. Today's find is an app called Charity Miles. It's premise is very simple- you turn on the app and then walk, run, or cycle and corporate sponsors donate money to a charity for every mile you go! Bikers earn $0.10 per mile and walkers and runners earn $0.25.



It is super simple to use too. You just open the app, pick the charity you would like to support for your workout and it tells you which company is sponsoring you, and then off you go! Once you complete your run/walk/bike, there is a quick one question survey about the sponsor's products, which seems to be completely optional.

Over the course of my marathon training (which started this week!! Week 1 update will come next week!), I estimate I will run around 450 miles...so if I remember to turn on my app I will be able to donate $112 to charity just by completing the runs I would be doing anyway! I used it for my Thursday run and earned $1 for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Disease research.

And the app also covers walking. So if your New Year's resolution is to walk 10,000 steps a day...maybe turn this app on and turn those fitbit accomplishments into more :)

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I downloaded it a while ago and always forget to turn it on when I'm walking. I'm the worst. Hopefully now this will remind me :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover