Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Runmore Adidas 10K!

About a month ago, my friend Michelle messaged me on twitter telling me we should run a 10K race together- which started at 1am on Halloween night. The premise of the run was that the clocks are turning back at 2am, so you run at 1am and when you finish it is basically still 1am! And then you drink beer. Sounded like a solid evening plan to me!

I started off the night at my friend's birthday party (and she got engaged the night before!! Congrats again Veronica and Mo!!). At midnight, I pulled a Cinderella and disappeared out of there. Except instead of glass slippers I was wearing running shoes, and instead of a magical gown, I was wearing a bee costume :)



It was delightfully pouring rain when we left and Cam dropped me off at the run site and I checked my bag full of warm things for after the race and met up with Michelle. They had large tents set up, which were thankfully warm so we all huddled in there until the start! And then we were off at 1am to run 10km in the dark, wet night!

Michelle and I took it pretty easy and finished in 1:19:30 (though with the time change I left at 1:00am and got back at 1:20am- so 20 minute 10K!), but we were definitely near the back of the pack and for most of it were completely on our own. Just a lady and a bee out for a run in the rain in the middle of the night. I think a lot of the less hard-core, slower runners were scared away by the rain, or maybe even just sleepiness! Adidas had provided everyone with a lot of free gear at bib pickup, and we were so grateful for the hats! The rain didn't bother me at all.

Once we finished we got our HUGE medals and then got some free beer and food at the food trucks that were there- this event truly went all out! Then around 2:30am, which was technically 3:30am, we walked back to my place, wrapped in many heat blankets. We probably looked like very cold ghosts. Michelle took a cab home and I took a long, hot shower. Then I stole all the duvet from Cam and spent a good hour trying to feel warm again. Finally I fell asleep and was out until noon!





All in all, it was a super fun race- even in the cold and pouring rain. The volunteers on the course were so enthusiastic and the free beer and food was a nice was to finish the evening! I had a lot of fun and would definitely do a night race again!

6 comments:

  1. You are crazy with all your races! But also super inspirational. Maybe next year I'll be posting about all the cool races I'm participating in. Although you couldn't get me to do a night race, I sleep at night. Remember what time I go to bed at? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in bed at like 10pm every night. I was toast all Sunday due to this.

      Delete
  2. Woohoo - a 20 minute 10K! We're so speedy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover