Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Map Gallery Wall Version 2.0

One of my favourite projects in the old condo was my gallery wall of maps in my hallway. Basically, every time I travel to a new city, I save my walking map and frame it when I get home to remember my trip by. Now, I only started this a couple years ago so I had to buy/print some maps that I no longer had, but the memories are still there in those streets and monuments! I finally got my maps back up in my new front hall and I love them!



You may have also noticed my new welcome sign! I had just hung the hook there a week ago, but then someone on Craigslist was selling this adorable yellow welcome hook and I was all "well that trumps my single hook", so I scooped this baby up for $10. I think it was originally from Urban Outfitters.



This is hung directly across from the front door and it is such a cheery site when you open the door and complements my gallery wall of maps perfectly!


For the gallery wall, the frames are Ribba frames from Ikea and I laid them out on the floor and was pleasantly surprised to see that the 5 horizontal and 6 vertical lined up perfectly. And happily I had 16 maps! The only downside is I can't travel anymore because then my maps will no longer line up so perfectly :P

To hang them I just penciled in 3 long, level lines, using a frame and a one inch piece of wood to space out the lines evenly. Then I just nailed away, using that 1 inch piece of wood as a spacer, though this size of Ribba frame is really just a couple nails that the frame sits on, you don't have to get the spacing of the nails 100% right. Also, one of the frames fell off the wall during this (I probably shouldn't have been nailing while some were still hanging...), and the frame and glass broke. But I just repaired the frame with my staple gun and I will pick up a new one next time I am at Ikea.

Sure is a nice sight when I open my front door now! Feels a lot more like home :)


6 comments:

  1. This looks so pretty! I have to remember this Ribba frame trick - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the map idea! I've been on the lookout for something in Ribba frames for an empty wall in the dining room... Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the welcome hooks/sign! The map idea is brilliant. It's such a great way to incorporate your travels and it makes awesome wall art:)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover