Monday, February 9, 2015

Bed Side Shelves

When I lived in my old bachelor condo, there was no room for a bedside table, because my bed was squished into an awkward space, so I built a shelf at the head of my bed for storing my alarm clock and lamp. When I started looking for a new one-bedroom home, I was very excited at the prospect of bedside tables because I think they are really fun to have! Alas, silly me ended up buying a condo where the head of the bed is in a nook and bedside tables are again not an option!

However, a girl still needs a place to store things like books and iphones so some sort of storage was needed... time to bring back the bed side shelf!



I actually bought the materials for these ages ago, but got lazy when it came to install because I have barely started decorating in here. I have lots of plans for how to decorate this nook and want to get a proper bed frame and headboard, which obviously affects where to hang these shelves, but I take forever to make decisions so I might as well hang them now and deal with patching the walls later if I need to!

Also- these are CHEAP. They cost me $1 each! The board is actually drawer fronts I found in the "as is" section at Ikea, and the braces were just bits of wood that my dad happened to have lying around!


To hang them, I had Cam help me figure out what height they should be at (to prevent head-bonking), and then I just leveled them out and screwed into the two walls for maximum support. They are pretty sturdy!


The undersides are not pretty, but no one sees those. I wasn't even going to bother painting the wood, but it was more visible than I thought so I quickly painted it after I had them up.



They have been working out great! I have also ordered a really cool alarm clock online, but according to Amazon it will take over a month to arrive so for now we are relying on phones!

What book is on your nightstand right now? I just finished the last Game of Thrones book (to be honest I found the books kind of boring since I only like a couple characters so it has taken me forever to finish them), and now I am onto the 14th book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, which I really like and recommend!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Casey! I know it has been forever, but I have just rejoined the blogosphere and was so happy to see you still here doing your thing! I am LOVNG the new condo... especially all of the windows & natural light. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity of the shelves. But I agree, you do need something and like you said, these will be just fine until you ever do get around to decorating in there. This June will mark 4 years in this house and we are just finally getting around to painting/decorating our bedroom!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover