Monday, October 20, 2014

Casey Gets Fit: Week 34

Weight: 145.8 (down 19.2 lbs)

Let's talk about motivation this week! I get a lot of questions about my weight loss and motivation as I have been very open with friends, family and you guys on the internet with my desire to lose some weight and get in shape. My mom actually asked me "why now? what changed?". Not in a rude way, but as my mother she knows I have tried many times to lose a few pounds but always lost motivation after a couple weeks.

Growing up I was always a pretty normal size and as I entered my teenage years I probably gained a bit of weight, but never really tipped into an unhealthy range. I did sometimes have a diary in high school so I know from that that I was in the low 150s during one of my brief weightloss attempts. Going to University I definitely ate like a pig but somehow didn't gain the freshman 15. I think that I weighed in the high 150s for most of those years as well. However after graduation I slowly put on about 15-20 lbs, probably due to the sedentary lifestyle that came with an office job, plus I eat when I am bored and long days at the office meant many trips for snacks. My highest weight was when I came back from Europe in 2011 and weighed in at 170 lbs. I worked at it and dropped 10 lbs, but then basically spent the next couple years between 160 and 165.

So why the push to lose weight now? I think it was a variety of factors. One of them being that I was starting to not like photos of myself. I always thought I looked great when I looked in the mirror, but then I'd hate how I looked in photos, especially when I was sitting. I also hated that my size was creeping up in stores and I was reaching the max pants size in my favourite stores (a size 14).

Dec 2013
Another factor was realizing I am getting closer to age 30, and most people will tell you it is a lot easier to lose weight when you are younger. I worried about my metabolism slowing down and maybe getting pregnant sometime down the road and what those changes would do to my body. It hit me that if I wanted to make a change I needed to do it NOW, I couldn't keep putting it off.

Mexico 2012
Another factor in my weight loss adventure was finding my love for running! I am such a lazy person, but I actually do love to run. I can't even describe how much it helps me with stress and clearing my head. I sometimes hate putting on my work out clothes and getting out the door, but I rarely have a run that I hate. And I always feel amazing after a run, even a short one. It took my awhile to build up to that love, but signing up for races helped me keep on track in those early days.

May 2014
I think writing about my journey here and being open about my weight loss plan also really helped! When I went over to my parents' homes for dinner they would prepare really healthy meals for me. When I went out with friends they never questioned what I ordered and respected when I turned down dessert or a 2nd drink. Having a support team was really awesome!

Now for maintaining motivation over 34 weeks, that is a different beast. I've lost almost 20 lbs since I started, which is awesome...but that means I averaged a little over half a pound per week. Sometimes I plateaued for weeks. Sometimes I went on vacation and didn't count calories or exercise (and I went on a LOT of vacations this year!). It was hard to stay on track, but I think the fact that I found an exercise I liked, and that I never denied myself any foods, just counted calories and watched portions, meant that I never felt deprived. I think one of the best tips is to make your calories count- don't waste them on food you don't love. 

So how do I feel now that I am down almost 20 pounds? AMAZING! I am at one of the lowest weights I have ever been and I love being able to shop for smaller sizes. I am now regularly in size 10 pants, and I am questioning if I should go down to an 8 at some stores. My closet is being stocked with medium shirts, rather than larges (I even own a size small shirt now!). I don't really see the changes in the mirror, since I see myself all the time, but I definitely see it in my clothing...my skinny jeans from last winter are hanging off me and I am on the first hole in my belt.

Oct 2014
I still have a lot of toning to do (I am hoping to maybe do some workout DVDs through the winter), but overall I have a lot of pride in my body now! I have no idea where my new killer arms came from, but I definitely want to keep those up! I also want to tone up my stomach and back, though I love how my tummy lies so much flatter and my back fat has really decreased!

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. You look amazing! I have followed you for a while, but I don't think that I have ever commented before. However, I really admire how you talk about challenging things on this blog. I am also excited to see how you fix up the new apartment. Congratulations on all the big things going on in your life right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look SO good!!! What a wonderful inspiration for others... I know that I wouldn't have started running this summer if it weren't for the blogs I read!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover