Monday, September 29, 2014

Casey Gets Fit: Week 31

Weight: 147.4

I was going to do measurements this week, but my measuring tape is somewhere down in the locker and I don't think I am ever going to find it again!

As for my weight, you maybe have noticed that I have plateaued for the past few weeks...and I am perfectly happy with that. I am now down to a healthy weight for my frame and I think I am looking good. So to the point, I made the conscious decision to work on a more "maintenance" diet and I am hoping to slowly lose another 5lbs over the next few months, but no rush. Basically I am eating 1500-1600 calories on the days where I have no plans (I never really eat takeout or fast food by myself so it is really easy to stick to), and then on days where I am going out for dinner or drinks I am just enjoying myself in moderation and not worrying about the calories. I think the 6 months of relatively strict dieting has really helped me with portion control and making better choices, so even my "cheat" meals are rarely crazy.

I am still working out 3 times a week, usually a run, and I am hoping to get back into some longer runs. I did 13km on Saturday morning and it was ROUGH. I am thinking of signing up for a half-marathon next May to give me something to train for because without a race on the horizon I am getting pretty lazy about lacing up and going out. I imagine this will get worse as it gets colder.

View from my turnaround point


Now for food! I want to share some recipes I tried this weekend, even though they are not all healthy...mwahaha!

On Friday I made healthy chicken soup that I am hoping will last me a few meals. I baked a whole chicken and then used all that chicken in a soup with carrots, onions, celery, and peas. At the last minute I threw in some flour to thicken the broth and some bowtie pasta (not a whole lot though) and it came out gooooood. I saved all those chicken bones so I can make my own broth too- I was too lazy to wait this time.

Then on Saturday Cam came over and I wanted to treat him to an apple-filled dinner because I have been bursting at the seams with apples from apple-picking. First I made pork tenderloin with apples and onions, loosely following this recipe. It came out so good. Pork is definitely being added to the dinner rotation. I served it with a side of salad and homemade apple sauce, made using this recipe. By the way, making your own apple sauce is really easy and delicious!


For dessert I baked him an apple pie (recipe here)! I think he had been waiting for this pie since I had mentioned apple picking. It came out okay. It was a little runny, but I don't think I let it sit long enough (it smelled too good to wait!). However, it tasted delicious and that is all that matters.


I think I have about 3 apples left now. Pie is awesome because it used so many apples! What is your favourite apple dish??

2 comments:

  1. I think that your new goal of working on a maintenance diet is good. You seem to have created some healthy boundaries when it comes to food. And I also think setting yourself a goal to keep you working out is super smart! Ever since I ran my 5k, I have been super duper lazy. As in, one run since. :::hangs head in shame:::

    All that food looks delicious! I want to come for supper! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, everything but that pie was gluten and dairy free! you could make it!!

      and ya I feel you on the lazy! you better sign up for another 5K!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover