Friday, July 4, 2014

Pillow Talk

I was out on the balcony watering the plants (the dying plants, to be precise) last night when I noticed that my newest throw pillow wasn't doing so hot in its new outdoor life.


See how the bottom corner colour is all muddled looking? Not good! I am actually not entirely sure what caused it (sun bleach, water, colour-stealing gnomes etc), but it certainly wasn't fixable so I just threw the cover out. It actually kind of worked out because I had been hankering to do some sewing for a couple weeks now, but couldn't think of a good project- now I had one!

I decided to see if I could cobble something together with the fabric scraps I got from Tonic Living last December. Most of the pieces are awkward triangles or narrow strips so I decided to go with a bit of a striped look and piece together some strips. I used some heavy navy and brown fabrics, paired with a sample of Vintage Blossom in Dove (such a pretty fabric!).

There is no tutorial here...I didn't even measure or pin anything because I am lazy and like to wing sewing projects (hence why I gave up on doing real patterns). In fact, I didn't even pre-wash the fabric. I won't even show you how bad my fast hand-stitching along the side was. #bloggersecrets

However it was pretty simple- I sewed three strips together to make the front piece and three together for the back piece, and then I just sewed the two pieces together on three sides, stuffed my pillow in and stitched it closed. Very easy!



I am not sure how long this pillow will actually hold up with the weather as this chair does get some of the elements on it, but considering it was free and fun to do I don't mind replacing it if I find some nice outdoor fabric I like better!

17 comments:

  1. I *love* how this pillow turned out!! Smart idea to do a different border colour on each side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didnt have enough fabric to use the same colour! :)

      Delete
  2. Really loving the new pillow!! Especially the navy border with that striped cushion. Also, I LOL'd about the colour stealing gnomes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Love this! Vintage Blossom Dove is hands down one of my fav products. Looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 'on the fly' projects like this. I work that way a lot too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out super cute!! I really need to learn to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vyer cute - sewing is not my forte - I'm envious of those with that skill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that fabric. Alicia (from Keep it Beautiful, above :)) has that fabric in her kitchen window too and I've been considering it for one of my windows. Now with these cushions it almost seals the deal. I like your approach the sewing too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices. I was just thinking of doing something similar so you have inspired me. Was the first one indoor/ outdoor fabric? It is odd that it did that.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually a napkin, so you would think it would be somewhat colour safe

      Delete
  9. Great job, Casey!! I really like the colours (even better than your original).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm rather jealous that you just sewed that with no measuring or pattern - I'm a neurotic measurer whenever i try to sew something which probably explains why I don't sew too frequently ;)

    Love that you did a contrasting fabric. Also, i need to figure out where I can use the term 'colour stealing gnomes' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well the strips of fabric were pretty evenly cut seeing as how they came from the ends of rolls at the fabric store- I think that helped

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover