Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Time For Love

I am not a religious person. I have no problems with other peoples' religious beliefs and I do think there is more to this world than meets the eye, but I just don't really connect with organized religion. I only go to church on Christmas Eve, and that is more to support my mother, who is in the choir, and to belt out a few classic Christmas carols.

But I love Christmas.

I love the feeling I get when I give a gift to another person and see their eyes light up when they open it. I love spending time with my family. I love how it seems like the one day a year that we are all so friendly and giving to our fellow man. I wish everyday could be Christmas, but I know the specialness of this time is more cherished because it only comes once a year.

A lot of people get bogged down with the daunting task of shopping for gifts, wrapping all those presents, decorating the house, organizing who is going where for dinner, and HOW long does that turkey need to be cooked for? I don't think Christmas needs the pressure that we put on ourselves. This year, I challenge you just to "be" today. Just be with your family and friends. Just be in the moment and soak in the spirit of the season. The gifts, the decorating, the delicious turkey- they are not what makes this season so wonderful. What matters is opening up your heart and your arms to those around you.

So today, if you find a little time between all the craziness of the day, give someone a hug and tell them you love them. Or maybe call a relative or friend who couldn't join you today. Sometimes a friendly word is the best gift we can give.

Love you all,
Merry Christmas,

Casey

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover